Fancy Summer Hairstyle Break!
We’ve been obsessing over the sock bun this summer. It is so easy to do and looks a bit more polished than a regular bun.
How to sock bun your hair up:
1. Find an old sock (that is clean) and cut the toe off. If possible match the color of the sock to your hair. Roll the sock into a doughnut shape. The type of sock you use will depend on the length and thickness of your hair. I find that a longer athletic sock works well for my hair, though I have also used a shorter sock. Lara, one of the Fancy Staff told me today that she used an old legwarmer for her bun and that she stitched the legwarmer once it was rolled up. This helps the bun maintain its shape throughout the day.
2. Pull hair back into a pony-tail and secure with a hair tie. Feel free to experiment with the location of the ponytail, as the sock bun looks just as cute on the side as it does on the top of your head. Sometimes, if I am feeling sassy, I will back comb the ponytail to give it more volume.
3. Once you have your hair in a pony-tail, place your sock doughnut around the end of the pony-tail and pull your hair through. Spread the ends of your hair around the sock and start rolling towards the base of your pony-tail. As you roll, tuck your hair into the doughnut and continue spreading out your hair around the doughnut.
4. My arms start to hurt at this point and I usually want to give up, but power through!! Once the bun has reached the base of your head you can secure it with pins or another hair elastic.
5. Finish with a little hair spray, or not!!
Comments are closed.